SMART Criminal Justice Services, known as SMART (or SMARTcjs), is committed to protecting your privacy and security. This policy explains how and why we use your personal data on our website and to make sure you remain informed and in control of your information.
2. Who we are?
We are SMART Criminal Justice Services, providing support to those affected by issues such as substance misuse, homelessness and domestic abuse. We are a charitable company, limited by guarantee. Our charity number is 1069087. Our company is registered in England, our registration number is 3398982 and our registered Office is 30 Bankside Court, Station fields, Kidlington OX5 1JE. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our data controller number is Z5228920.
3. How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, when you contact us for services and support, make a donation or use our live chat service, known as SMART Chat.
We contract the following third party providers, who may store and process your information on our behalf:
- We use Click4Assistance live chat solution to provide a live chat contact channel (SMART Chat). Further information.
- We use Google Analytics to monitor the activity on our website. Further information.
- We use Charity Checkout to process our donations and claims for gift aid. Further information.
- We use Infusionsoft, a customer relationship management tool, which stores contact details and enables us to communicate with those who opt-in to receiving information from us. Further information.
4. What type of information is collected from you?
The personal information we collect depends on the service you use and may include your name, age, address, email address, telephone number, and IP address, company name, payment details, gift aid declaration and information regarding what pages are accessed and when.
5. How is your information used?
We may use your information to:
- Process a payment, donation or gift aid, confirm it has been received and say thank you
- Send you communication which you have requested and that maybe of interest to you, such as training, service updates, general information or advice
- To provide support to you via the SMART Chat service
- Notify you of changes to our services
To conduct research and analysis on the services we provide and to look for any ways we can improve on what we do.
We review our data retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity.
6. Who has access to your information?
SMART staff have access to your information, in order to provide services, respond to enquiries and to process payments.
We use third party providers (listed above in section 3), to process or hold your personal data in order to provide some services. For example, if you make a donation your personal data will be held by charity checkout and SMART. These activities will be carried out under a contract which imposes strict requirements on our supplier to keep your information confidential and secure.
Occasionally, where we partner with other organisations, we may also share information with them (for example, if you register to attend an event being jointly organised by us and another organisation). We’ll only share information when necessary and we’ll make sure to notify you first.
- We will never sell or rent your information to third parties.
- We will never share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
7. Your Choices
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. We will not contact you for any purpose by email, phone or any other means unless you have given your prior consent.
You can decide not to receive communications or change how we contact you at any time. If you wish to do so, please contact email@example.com; or write to us at SMART, 32 St Johns Street, Bedford, MK42 0DH, United Kingdom; or telephone 01234 344133 (Lines open 8am – 4pm, Mon – Fri).
8. How you can update, access and manage your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us.
You can contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org; or write to us at SMART, 32 St Johns Street, Bedford, MK42 0DH, United Kingdom; or telephone 01234 344133 (Lines open 8am – 4pm, Mon – Fri) to:
- Update your data – If you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date.
- Ask for a copy of the information SMART holds about you online (this is known as a ‘subject access request’)
- Delete the data we hold about you, unless we have a legal obligation to hold your information.
9. Security of your information
When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it’s treated securely. Any information transmitted over our SMART Chat service is 256bit SSL encrypted.
When you are on a secure page (e.g. to make a payment), a lock icon will appear on the bottom of web browsers such as Chrome.
Non-sensitive details (your email address etc.) are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
10. Storage of your information
SMARTs operations are based in the UK and we store our data within the European Union. Some organisations which provide services to us may transfer personal data outside of the EEA, but we’ll only allow them to do so if your data is adequately protected.
For example, some of our systems use Infusionsoft. As a US-based company, it may be that using their products result in personal data being transferred to or accessible from the US. However, we’ll allow this as we are certain personal data will still be adequately protected (Infusionsoft is certified under the USA’s Privacy Shield scheme).
We will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long information will be stored for depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. For example, if you ask us not to send you marketing emails, we will stop storing your emails for marketing purposes (though we’ll keep a record of your preference not to be emailed).
We continually review what information we hold and delete what is no longer required.
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish—for details, see aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.
For details of the cookies collected and used by third parties contracted by SMART to support our online services, please see:
- Click4Assistance live chat solution (SMART Chat)
- Google Analytics, used to monitor the activity on our website
- Charity Checkout, used to process our donations and claims for gift aid
- Infusionsoft, our customer relationship management tool
This helps us to improve our website and deliver a better more personalised service. It is possible to switch off cookies by setting your browser preferences. Turning cookies of may result in a loss of functionality when using our website.
12. Links to other websites
In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
13. Children aged 13 and under
Our services are available to anyone, including our SMART Chat service, however we are concerned to protect the privacy of children. If you are aged under 13, please get your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide us with personal information. If you are experiencing difficulties you do not feel able to discuss with your parent/ guardian we recommend contacting Childline on 0800 1111.