What we do » The Portal Programme
One small course... One giant leap towards recovery.
...make positive changes
...learn new skills
...make new friends
...improve your job prospects
...live your life
What is the Portal Programme?
The Portal Programme is a range of courses that give people who are recovering from drug or alcohol problems the opportunity to take positive steps towards a life in recovery and learn new skills.
Recently redesigned, the programme aims to improve your confidence and help you realise your potential. It can help you to get back into education or find employment.
The programme provides a safe and relaxed environment for you to study whilst getting support from your fellow students.
Who is the Portal Programme for?
The programme is open to anyone who is:
- Committed to achieving and maintaining positive life changes.
- Interested in getting back into education.
- Interested in improving their chances of getting a job.
- Giving up or reducing drugs or alcohol.
- Leaving a community-based or residential recovery programme.
- Due to leave or recently left a custodial institution.
- Cooperating with or about to complete a community sentence.
On the 6 week programme you will cover the following:
- Study, Communication, and Interpersonal Skills
- Substance Awareness
- Complex Needs
- Harm Minimisation and Relapse Prevention
- Moving On (Finding work)
What support is available to students?
- Your fellow students can offer you peer support and a new network of like-minded friends.
- Support from the SMART team, who are experienced in helping people work towards recovery.
- A taste of further education and advice from the college about how you could take your studies further.
- Advice on long term employment needs.
- Entry into the SMART volunteer mentor programme, if appropriate.
Benefits to studying
- learning in a relaxed and supportive environment.
- seek information, advice and guidance on your current and future studies or career moves.
How the Portal Programme has helped others
“I didn’t know what I needed to do to get a job but now I feel like I’ve been given another chance at life. The Portal Programme has given me prospects, a qualification and a reason to get on”
“A turning point in my life, my saving grace, and I met others who could understand some of my background.”
“I never thought anyone would want to employ me again... The Portal Programme helped me see my potential”
Find out more about the Portal Programme
To find out more about any of the Portal Programme, please contact us at Head Office.
You will be required to fill out an application form and attend an informal interview before being accepted onto the programme.